Why is Outlook 2007 showing red Xs instead of my pictures? ~ Ask The Admin

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Why is Outlook 2007 showing red Xs instead of my pictures?

We got this message from Fred early in the AM. I guess its great for him that we don't sleep past 7AM anymore!

I am using Outlook 2007. When I get email the pictures show as Red boxes with “X”’s in them. I used to be able to right click on the boxes and download the pictures. Now for some reason, I right click but the pictures don’t download. I don’t get the option to download a second time so the system must think the pictures are showing. Please help.

We went back and forth trying to enable and disable security options inside Outlook and Internet Explorer but we weren't having any luck. I didn't want our faithful reader to start bashing his head against the monitor. So I said screw it and went a' looking for the registry value. Here is what I wrote back to Fred:

Found the solution, it is a registry entry called BlockHTTPImages found at this location.


\HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Common\BlockHTTPImages


change the value 1 to 0 (zero) and reboot. All your images should have returned.

I was sure that was going to resolve our early morning Outlook hi-jinks and it sure did! Here was Fred's final response:

YOU DID IT!!!! I don’t know how to thank you. This has been driving me nuts! I found that a lot of people are having the same problem (from reading other forums) and nobody had a solution. Thanks again. Fred


_TheProblemSolvingAdmiN_