Is there something better than Windows Media Player on a Windows Mobile Device? ~ Ask The Admin

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Is there something better than Windows Media Player on a Windows Mobile Device?

Joey writes to us:

"Why doesn't WMP Support all my video formats? Why can't I download codecs for my Mobile Windows Media Player??? Is there a way to play all my videos? Oh and can you make it free? Thanks!"

Ah ha! We were reading this email as I was watching the season finale of The IT Crowd (Torrent here - funniest one yet!!) on my Dopod S530 using TCPMP. This is a free media player that seems to digest anything I can spit at it. It works great and has all the options I have gotten used to on my desktop.

TCPMP has been abandoned as a project but remains widely available and used. There are versions all over the net for WM, Palm and soon other platforms. Check out this link for downloading. According to their website:

This open source media player project is discontinued. Check out the commercial CorePlayer software or the soon to be released open source BetaPlayer project.
TCPMP could be seen running on Morris O'Brian's Pocket PC on the popular television drama 24. During the episode that aired on February 26, 2007 (Day 6: 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM), it was used to display a brief animation simulating a contact list. I saw it and was all like yeah I use that... :)

Do you use your mobile to watch shows or movies on the go?

_TheMobileAdmiN_