Google and Feedburner Broke My RSS Feed... Unlimited Redirect Loop - What Up With That? ~ Ask The Admin

Friday, August 24, 2007

Google and Feedburner Broke My RSS Feed... Unlimited Redirect Loop - What Up With That?

My troubles started today early in the morning and coincided with a new post by a new author on AtA - He just happens to blog in word and cut and paste - We all know Blogger and MS Word do not play nicely together. Long story short i got rid of the formatting and called it a night. I woke up in the morning grabbed my Dash and saw my AtA feed was not synced up - WTF?

Of Course as a Good Admin I wouldn't go jumping to any conclusions and blame somebody before investigating... Well I did and I'm SORRY because it turns out it was a combination of Google's services, Blogger and Feedburner that screwed AtA this morning. A while back Blogger added a feature to forward ALL your feed requests to feedburner to track your RSS stats. Which has been great for a while now.

But yesterday our stats crapped out and it said we lost half of our readers - I know we couldn't have had that many people jump ship at the same time! I tried to hit the feed via URL in IE7 - no problem. Just for shits and giggles I tried it in Firefox and got an Error... basically it said We will never be able to open this page because of a redirect loop... WHAT?




So It looks like blogger was forwarding to feedburner and feedburner was forwarding to blogger... Whats going on over there @ google??? Someone pushed the big red button marked DO NOT PUSH THIS BIG RED BUTTON? All this before my morning coffee! So I un-did this:


And now we are back to normal with out all the feedburner re-directs. Has anyone else seen a HUGE drop in feedburner stats and an inability to download your RSS for these or other reasons?? Hit us up - we hate being in the dark!

_TheUnFeedBurnedAdmiN_



Sorry For The Accusation Before I Fully Investigated Peter! Great Article and Welcome To AtA!