Free Dial Up ISP: MetConnect ~ Ask The Admin

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Free Dial Up ISP: MetConnect

So the Admin was stuck out in the boon docks and couldn't get a connection on my Wwan cards nor edge off my cell phone and I needed to resort to *gasp* dial-up. I always had a dial up connection handy for situations just like this. BUT, I have gotten so used to my usb wwan card that I haven't needed a dial up service in ummm ... forever.


I called up one of my junior admins and had him hit up Google and find me a free ISP - preferably with no frickin ads.

He said "Found it!" before I even finished my sentence. I was so super impressed with this NYC based FREE ISP I had to write about it. They have numbers only in the 212 area code but he signed me up in 2 seconds flat - with NO VERIFICATION.

I dialed up 1 minute later and connected at 49.6kpbs which is great for these old phone lines out here. It gets better the connection was up for more than 6 hours and after doing a little research they dont kill connections until 72 hours uptime. So if you are looking for a good free dial up service MetConnect is for you.

Verdict: Awesome - sign up for this service save your username and password with the dial up number 212-359-2000 and you got yourself an emergency internet kit!
8/28/07 I couldn't connect I signed up for free earthlink service for 6 months