Plugged in not charging 0% remaining ~ Ask The Admin

Friday, June 27, 2008

Plugged in not charging 0% remaining

No seriously... WTF???

I saw this for the first time today... TWICE! Two almost brand new laptops one HP and one ACER had the same symptoms. They were both plugged in and NOT charging! On $2000 toys office resources this is serious!

I looked on-line and could not find an answer anywhere. It seemed lots of people were complaining of the same issue. Some of them did bios updates, uninstalled Microsoft power drivers, went out and bought new batteries, chargers or sent their machine in for servicing.

I tried the not charging batteries on other machines and they were charging!

I popped them back one back into the Vista machine and it still was not charging. The other laptop was XP. But the machine was not even charging when it was shut down. So how could that be possible?

I have NO IDEA! But all I know is how I finally fixed the problem on one of the machines and then on the second. Is it some voo-do shit? Did I wish them better somehow?

I was convinced that it was not a hardware problem after reading people having the problem on their Mac Book Pro's running Boot Camp.

I really don't know what I did fixed it. All I did was this:

  1. Shut down the laptop with the battery in and plugged in.
  2. Remove the battery.
  3. Reboot the machine.
  4. I waited for Vista to come up and show the power icon.
  5. I then reinstalled the battery.

It still said Plugged in Not charging. Then I turned away to my desktop for a second to hit up Google a little more and I saw it change out of the corner of my eye...

Plugged in. Charging 1%

SWEET! I then replicated my steps for the other machine and just like that I was back in business. Anyone care to explain this Technology Voo-Do? Does this make sense to you? Am I missing something? No really hit me up in the comments because I am flabbergasted!

Update: Just back from a meeting and my laptop is reporting that the battery is at 100%! Woo-Hoo!



_TheWhatsThatNowAdmiN_