Can I zip a file within Vista / XP with out installing a 3rd party application? ~ Ask The Admin

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Can I zip a file within Vista / XP with out installing a 3rd party application?

If you are like us you HATE having to install unnecessary software on your personal machine. I try and find what 3rd party apps I can live without by pushing the OS to the limits. In this for instance we are looking at WinZip, WinRar or something along those lines. I have managed to escape installing these applications on my production workstation.

If I HAVE to zip or unzip a compressed file I can without doing anything special. Check it out. Select a bunch of files or folders by control selecting them or even hitting control-A to select all. Then Right click and choose send to Compressed zipped folder as show below...

To remove the files from their container simply right click and choose Extract all or double click on the archive and you will be able to see what's in it and move stuff around. Did you know about this? Do you have a tip to share with The Admin? Hit us up in the comments!!

_TheZipThisAdmiN_