Can Vista move deleted network files to the recycle bin? ~ Ask The Admin

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Can Vista move deleted network files to the recycle bin?

We have all seen it before - You delete a file from a mapped or shared drive and it does not go to your recycle bin. Yup and this is by design - isn't that wonderful?



This has just been the way it is for a while now on Windows based operating systems. But Vista has now built in a little more support to help you with your accidental deletions on your network.



Now if you are like me this is no big deal to you as you always have backups and why would you delete something that you need... Right? Yeah but if you are like me and support a gagillion end users who call 9 times a day with that....







Ummm yeah I seem to be missing my file from my home directory. It was there before but now its not.



What happened to it?



I deleted it. Can you recover it for me?





9 times out of 10 this is not a big deal and i use shadow copy to restore them. But when I have to go to my LTO2 Tapes it can be time consuming. If you are using Vista on the desktop you can now enable your users recycle bin to also catch deleted files or folders from specified network directories. Why isn't this on for all your shares by default? Beats the hell out of me.



But to enable it this is where you need to right click on your recycle bin, choose properties, then choose the network tab and add the shares you want security from.



Does anyone out there know how to do this via Group Policy?



_TheRecycledAdmiN_