Did you know you can legally install Retail Office 2003 on a Desktop and Laptop? Its in the Eula! ~ Ask The Admin

Monday, May 19, 2008

Did you know you can legally install Retail Office 2003 on a Desktop and Laptop? Its in the Eula!

Here is today's real deal AtA Two for one special!

I had a user ask me to get them a second copy of MS Office 2003 (also applies to 2007) for their shiny new laptop. They already had it installed on their desktop.

Seeming I bought both the machines and the software I knew the laptop was already loaded up and good to go.

I mean come on would I give them a machine just so they can come back to see me as soon as they had to open a word document?

They proceeded to hand me a credit card.

"I smirked and said nah - this one is on me."

He looked confused so I fessed up. Microsoft allows you to install retail boxed versions and even some OEM software in a desktop and another portable device if you are going to be the PRIMARY user of the software. So boo-yah an EULA... (That's End User License Agreement for those not in the know)... finally works in the little guys favor! You too can check your M$ software by going to help about and hitting the View EULA...

Its a link near the bottom of the box. Look I'll wait.


Installation and use. You may: (a) install and use a copy of the Software on one personal computer or other device; and (b) install an additional copy of the Software on a second, portable device for the exclusive use of the primary user of the first copy of the Software.

If that's what you see you are in luck. Hey I'm just trying to save you a buck with what should be common knowledge... But judging from the responses I get after telling people this, let's just say it isn't.

We all know you don't read these things you scroll down and click I Accept.

It wouldn't matter if it said you were signing over your first born in plain English on oh say page 7 of 12 in the EULA... Yeah we know. It's OK. We won't tell.

_TheEulaCrazyAdmiN_