My Logmein returns the error Access is denied (5)... HELP I need my files! ~ Ask The Admin

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

My Logmein returns the error Access is denied (5)... HELP I need my files!


Reader Bob W from Canada writes to us:



I am using the free version of logmein and trying to access a file on my
remote computer but it is not letting me. The message I am getting is

.......failed
Access is denied. (5)

How do I fix the problem so I can access the files? Any help would be
greatly appreciated thanks for your time and help in this matter.


I personally don't use the service so I installed it on my laptop and office pc to help our Friend Bob out and here is what needs to be done:


Error #5 indicates you don't have permission on the remote machine to access the files you want to get to, In this case documents and settings and a users directory is protected by NTFS security.


Now there are two ways you can use logmein - either with a access code or with a user name and password from the computer. With the access code you can get to the remote desktop no problem and some files with file manager. But if you log in using the user name and password from the remote PC you will be able to access ALL your files.


When you connect to the target computer instead of entering the access code, click "MORE" and enter the CORRECT username and password for THAT computer you are trying to connect to. If there is no username and password for your system a remote user called LogMeInRemoteUser is created and permissions on the remote system would need to be altered to allow him to access the files you want.


The reason you can access some other files is that the security isn't as tight as it is in other directories. You also asked about the recycle bin on the remote machine - just connect to the remote control module and restore the files to your C drive or desktop and grab em' from there.


Karl L. Gechlik