Question of the minute(& Answer): How do i link up a domain name with my Blog? ~ Ask The Admin

Friday, June 22, 2007

Question of the minute(& Answer): How do i link up a domain name with my Blog?

Hmmmm...I got an email from a buddy of mine a few days back and he was asking me how to link up his newly purchased domain name with his blogger blog.

I instructed him to go to his register account and point the domain name to his blogspot address. The old wait the proverbial 24-48 hours for DNS to propagate.

I get a phone call today and he told me

"While this is all well and good and when you type in http://www.hisdomainname.whatever/ it
goes to hisdomain.blogspot.com "(He specifically asked me not to publish his
domain name - i am not an asshole!).

The URL in the address bar changes to be the blogspot address. I know there are ways around this. I know some of you are already doing this. And I would like to make these modifications to this site as well.

So Step Up...Step Right Up...Comment Right Here.

UPDATE 11:58 PM:

So El Di Pablo gave us great documentation from blogger and a quick run
through in the comments and we are up and running on http://www.asktheadmin.com/ now after 8 hours. But
my buddy is still waiting for his dns updates to go through.

Gotta get away from the computer Good Night All. I will leave you with this what using for security products - hardware and software?

..Karl..

..comments excerpt..

El Di Pablo said...
Hey guys, I did this myself with Bauer-Power.net, Blogger has directions for it here.I set my domain name to park at godaddy, then I created an A-name record for www.bauer-power.net and pointed it to Google's servers per the instructions. I then set domain name forwarding for bauer-power.net to point to www.bauer-power.net.
5:15 PM

El Di Pablo said...
I'm sorry, I misspoke, I meant CName not Aname.
5:16 PM
El Di Pablo said...
yeah.. asktheadmin.com should be the A-Name with domain forarding to www.asktheadmin.com. the WWW CNAME should point to ghs.google.com.That's about it. I am breathless with anticipation. :-p