We covered what services can be disabled or stopped for Windows XP here and now here is your quick guide to speeding up your Vista machine the same way.
Don't expect to have Vista flying on the same Pentium III machine - there are still system requirements. BUT these steps can significantly speed up your existing install.
First disable Aero as it is a huge memory hog. Then move on to the services below.
How to disable a service in Vista:
- Click on the Start Orb
- Type services.msc in the search box
- You might be prompted by a UAC box.
- Click continue, or learn how to disable UAC here.
- Right click a service, and choose Stop to stop it immediately
- For services you are unable to stop it until after reboot. Right click and choose properties. Then select disable from the drop-down menu.
The ones in red are only to be disabled if you are in a single client environment - not sharing files.
The ones in blue are conditional - meaning read the statement and make sure you don't use it!
Do you have more ways to speed up Vista? Put us on in the comments!