Spybot 1.5.1 Released! ~ Ask The Admin

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Spybot 1.5.1 Released!

When people ask me what they need for basic security on their home computers, I usually tell them they need three things:



1) A good, updated antivirus program
2) A good personal firewall program
3) An anti-spyware program

Most people are good on number one or two, because that is what the media beats down your throat, but most people don't think of spyware as a problem. People just go through life, closing pop-ups, and ignoring the extra tool bars they find in Internet Explorer and wonder why their computers are so slow.

Wikipedia defines spyware as: "... computer software that is installed surreptitiously on a personal computer to intercept or take partial control over the user's interaction with the computer, without the user's informed consent."

Well, doesn't that sound like a cozy idea? I didn't think so. I blogged about different anti-spyware programs before. In that post I mentioned Spybot Search and Destroy as one of my favorite FREE anti-spyware utilities. Why am I writing about it again then? Because the newest version just came out! This is their first release (I believe, I may be wrong) in about 2 or 3 years! Very exciting stuff!

If you haven't installed an anti-spyware solution yet, or you need a backup solution, or if you already use version 1.4 of Spybot and need an upgrade, the time is right for you to download the latest version of Spybot Search and Destroy (Now version 1.5.1!)

Originally Posted on Bauer-Power By el Di Pablo