I'm a scared, how 'bout you? ~ Ask The Admin

Friday, September 07, 2007

I'm a scared, how 'bout you?


I don't know about you guys, but reading this has scared the living daylights out of this IT admin....

I know this is my blog, but I'd like to ask for your thoughts on the topic. Rumors are swirling that Microsoft may buy Research In Motion, RIM, maker of the Blackberry. Personally I think this is a bad idea on a lot of levels. It's the classic situation of an answer looking for a problem. With Exchange 2007 and Windows Mobile 6, Microsoft basically gives away for free everything RIM charges for with a BES server and services. You can argue you like/don't like Windows Mobile, but that wouldn't change with an acquisition of RIM. The only benefit I see to this deal is Microsoft speeding up the inevitable, the death and assimilation of the blackberry nation. In the words of Linda Richman and Coffee Talk, "Talk amongst yourselves". -Alex

From this link


This better not happen. If it does, you know damned well that MS will destroy the Blackberry and everything that is good about it, and better than any other handheld for business at this point.

I've said it before, and I will say it again...I have no love for Microsoft. They do not provide innovation at all and rather than compete, they out litigate and out finance the competition.

So the facts remain that their push email capability that is tied in with Exchange is not good enough to compete with the Blackberry product which simply got it right from the get go.....so what do you do??? Build a better mouse trap?

Not if you're MS....you buy them and crush them.

There will be MAJOR backlash if they try to buy and squash the Blackberry and I think that I would probably discontinue use of the Blackberry @ my shop on the principle that MS would own it knowing that the end is inevitable and that security and reliability will be at best secondary.

--The Not So Happy Slothman