How can I combine 3 partitions into one during a windows reinstall? ~ Ask The Admin

Friday, September 28, 2007

How can I combine 3 partitions into one during a windows reinstall?

Ted writes in:

I have 2 physical drives drive 1 has a c: drive, a d: drive and a e: drive which is bootable. The second drive has a f: drive that i use for storage. My machine needs to be reinstalled with Windows. Before I do that how can i merge the 3 partitions on drive 1.

( I don't care if I have to reformat) I backed up everything to drive 2


Hey Ted - This one is easy as pie. (Actually I don't know how easy pie is - lets say its easy as ummm... Its Just Real Easy!) Just start the machine up with the Windows CD in the drive and boot to it. Start the installation and when it shows you the partitions for drive one - you should see all your partitions. Delete the three of them and create one single partition and let it do its thing. You might want to disconnect the second drive while you do it to be on the safe side. That way you can't format the 2nd drive even if you try! Sometimes its better to be pro-active then to curse @ yourself later!

_TheAdmiN_