Confessions of a dude quiting Microsoft Cold Turkey. ~ Ask The Admin

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Confessions of a dude quiting Microsoft Cold Turkey.


A few weeks ago we read an article about Open Source - Still afraid of Open Source? This was an article from ItToolbox detailing an office switch over to being Microsoft Free @ work and loving it. The first article was great (see link above) but the followup with all the programs he is using as M$ alternatives - Is just icing on the cake...(mmmm cake.)

Open Source cake... Here is an excerpt that caught our eye:



I have now been Microsoft-Free at work for about 7 weeks. I have also found solutions for almost all of the initial hurdles I encountered in the first week.



Here is the list:


Email - I now have Thunderbird working flawlessly as my
email client in sync with Exchange. I do need to talk to the Exchange admin to
change a setting on the Exchange Server so I can use the Calendar functionality
with Sunbird. I am currently use Webmail for my calendar.


Office - Open Office has worked well with Word, Power Point, Excel, and Adobe documents. I can use Wine to install Visio on my Ubuntu
desktop. This doesn't allow me to be totally Microsoft-Free but there is no
answer for Visio's proprietary format that I am aware of. This is not an issue
with Open Source, the problem is that Microsoft doesn't use an open standard for
their Visio product. Open Office Draw works fine for creating new drawings but
can't import Visio documents saved in Visio format. I also downloaded OxygenOffice Professional that gives me the much needed templates and clip art that Open Office was missing.

Browser - I have been using Firefox at work for years so this a no
brainer.

Printer - I do have one unresolved issue. I have an old HP Laserjet (about
8 years old). Although I can see the driver I can't get the printer to work. I
have not invested a ton of time trying to fix it.Before all of the Microsoft
defenders start slamming me, let me put my disclaimers out.

My goal of this article is to prove that people can be productive at work
without the need of Microsoft software. I am not saying that because I can be
productive that everyone should abandon Microsoft and start a project to
implement Linux corporate wide.
However, I do recommend to those who are open to exploring alternatives that they should start a small pilot project with a
handful of desktop users. I think a 5-10 person pilot with Ubuntu or Mepis would be a great way to learn about the opportunities and challenges that an Open Source OS presents. This is low risk and high return.

A pilot like this will give your IT shop an opportunity to try out
alternatives without disrupting the day to day business.When I first started my
experiment I was trying to keep it a secret out of fear of attacks from angry
Microsoft worshipers (especially from the admins and desktop support). What I am
finding out is that most of the folks that I was hiding from are sick and tired
of supporting Windows and are proponents of Linux. Several of them are using
Linux at home. One of the guys I talked to has Vista and XP installed on his
laptop. He swaps out the hard drive when switching between OS's. He is less then
impressed with Vista and complains about the slow boot time (2 times slower then
XP).

I recently moved to a new office and a desktop guy saw my Ubuntu desktop
when I was moving. I expected an ear full but instead the guy said he fully
supports a move to Ubuntu and wished the company would move in that direction.
These stories are coming from Microsoft certified engineers who have spent years
supporting Microsoft tools. These stories are not coming from anti-Microsoft
people who worship Linux.

Have any open source enterprise experience? Post em in the comments!