Windows Tip: Access The Windows Security Window In a Remote Desktop Connection (Control-Alt-Delete Doesn't Work) ~ Ask The Admin

Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Windows Tip: Access The Windows Security Window In a Remote Desktop Connection (Control-Alt-Delete Doesn't Work)

I get asked all the time how the hell do I bring up the security box (control + alt + delete) in a remote desktop session and here is the answer:

To use Control + Alt + Delete in a Remote Desktop Connection terminal, use Ctrl + Alt + End instead.

I tested it and it works beautifully on two Windows XP machines, 1 2003 server but on remoting in (What I can't make up words??) to my Windows XP Pro SP2 Laptop it only brought up the task manager.

Any ideas?

And for those of you that don't know Control + Shift + Escape opens you directly to the task manager. And you can alt + tab through tabs on your remote desktop if it is opened full screen.

Got some good shortcuts for us? Tips at askTheAdmin dot com! I am off to my data center today. Should be interesting as we prepare for impending doom upcoming upgrades.

_TheShortcutingAdmiN_