Outlook 2002 and earlier have a 2gb limit I exceeded... Now What? ~ Ask The Admin

Monday, June 23, 2008

Outlook 2002 and earlier have a 2gb limit I exceeded... Now What?

Johnathan from Minnesota writes in:

My IT manager uses Office XP aka 2002. His outlook pst just touched over 2gb. It happened while Outlook was opened and it closed. He couldn't open it again. I looked up the error message on Microsoft and they said Outlook XP (and outlook 2000) can not recognize a pst larger than 2gb. There is a truncate tool and FIXPST tool. I tried using the first and cut it down about 50mb. This says it kills stuff from the end of the file - but what can i do?

I then ran FIXPST and it fails at the last step. HELP!! I read this from a Microsoft KB here.




Errors have been detected in the file . Quit all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox Repair Tool.


So for our final answer: You can upgrade to any newer version of Outlook to fix your problem (big Surprise!) or crop your pst and then run fixpst. It is very time consuming and will eat some of your messages (Hence Croping). And then there is that 3rd party app that Billy Gates suggested called RecoveryToolbox if you can not deal with losing data.

So Remember OUTLOOK 2002/XP BAD!! 2GB PST FILE LIMIT!
_TheOffToUpgradeAdmiN_