Can Vista hit me on the hip when an event occurs through the OS? Is this true and how can I configure it? ~ Ask The Admin

Sunday, March 02, 2008

Can Vista hit me on the hip when an event occurs through the OS? Is this true and how can I configure it?

Good Morning,

I just saw the link to ask you a question and here is mine. Admin do you know of a way I can configure Vista to let me know if a specific error or event happens while I am AFK?

I hear Vista can hit me on my Blackberry when an event occurs and it's suppose to be native through the OS. Is this true and how can I configure it?I know they said its in but I be damned if I can't find it. Hook a fellow admin up!

Your Loyal Reader JayDee


You sure can JayDee! And not only is it pretty simple - you can use any email client not only a Crackberry - check it.

  1. Now you can attach a task to any event. Navigate through System Tools / Event Viewer / Windows Logs / Application.

  2. Now select an event - then look to the rightmost pane and click “Attach Task to This Event.”

  3. Name it whatever you want and put in a description, click through to the next step, then in the Action step, you’ll see the “Send an e-mail” option.

Attaching tasks to events can also be used as a great troubleshooting feature.

To make use of this, Windows Vista's Event Viewer has something called the Task Scheduler Wizard and provides you with a bunch of choices for actions to attach to each event.


Anyone out there using this already? Questions? Comments? Just blaze!


_TheUp2EarlyAdmiN_